Saturday, September 11, 2010
Okay I feel better now.
Ho hum. Wish I could've watched the forum theatre performance that I posted about two posts ago. Sigh.
--
Also, on the issue of the IR buses, I can't figure out why they're bothering to cancel the routes. I mean, this is going to affect at least, like, fifty drivers (judging from the reports in ST). All these people will lose their jobs just because someone somewhere decided that making it slightly harder for some idiotic gamblers to lose their entire fortunes at the casino (serves them right btw who asked them to bring so much $$ to the casino) was more important than ensuring the bus drivers would be able to keep the jobs promised to them.
This is so wrong on so many levels. The routes were already approved, and everything was fine until it suddenly dawned upon them that OMG SINGAPOREANS WILL TAKE FREE SHUTTLE BUSES LEH!!!! -.- It couldn't exactly have been a new revelation, could it? If they were that worried they could have rejected the idea earlier. Now what's going to happen to the poor bus companies and drivers?
Secondly, despite all the hype about the casinos, they're a really, really tiny part of the IRs. There's other stuff to do at the IR besides gambling, in case nobody realised. People bring their kids there for some good clean family fun. And tada now they'll have no more free shuttle buses to bring them there.
I know this sounds vaguely unsympathetic towards the (possibly many) gamblers who will end up losing lots of money at the casinos, but I highly doubt not having a free shuttle bus to ride on will deter people who are determined to gamble away their fortunes at the IR. Boh free bus take SBS bus lor. Besides, if they're that stupid (or unable to control themselves) such that they can lose all their money there, I find it very hard to feel sorry for them.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable here. Had my grandpa not gambled away everything he had twenty years ago, perhaps as his granddaughter I'd be looking at a tidy sum of inheritance money by now. Yet I don't think anyone in the family doubts that it was anyone's fault but his that he's now penniless and stuck in a poky little flat, unable to enjoy his retirement. It's the same principle, really. They deserve to reap what they sow. So screw them and bring back the shuttle buses, please.