Saturday, August 28, 2010
"You're not going to survive this."
"Neither are you."
"Forty-eight hours, if we're lucky and they drop it over us."
"Or sooner, if she comes back with some of that soup."
"What soup?"
"Y'know, the soup they're giving out?"
"What about it?"
"People drink it and fall asleep. Not one has woken up since."
"Really?"
"Yeah. People are queuing up for it as we speak."
"I suppose..."
"Yes?"
"I suppose it's better than the alternative, huh."
"Sure. They go to sleep with smiles on their faces. It doesn't hurt."
"I wonder where they all go - oh, you're back! And you've brought enough for us all!"
"Drink up, boys. As for where they go, I guess they'll get to go wherever they want. For me, well, it'd be a place where light and darkness both equally dwell - "
"Where the daylight is pure and the stars shine in a clear night sky - "
"Where we never run out of honey and milk - "
"Where there is no disease or death - "
"Where there are lots of soft, downy beds - "
"Feather beds for us to lie on..."
"And as we drift into sleep, we'll wish we never had to wake up."