Sunday, July 25, 2010
YAWP was pretty fun!
But before I say anything, thanks VTey and Nanthini, and Xinyuan's mum and aunt (?) for coming down to support us :D
Yup so after rehearsing/chionging our prop, we headed down to Hwach, dragging our corrugated board along with us. Thanks to Rachel's "I am very sure we can take that bus! Don't need to check la!", we took the wrong bus at Equatorial and had to walk back and take another LOL.
We ordered pizza while on the bus, and it came just as we reached the school. I wonder how vegetarians survive on their limited choices; I was happily eating both Veggie Lovers' and Hawaiian, but the veggie lovers could only eat Veggie Lovers'. Sad lives, though I rather admire their resolution.
We went after the AC guys' war poetry mashup, complete with foot-stamping, guitar-strumming and pictures of soldiers with mosaic-ed faces in the background.
Ours was titled Consumerist Paradise, and had absolutely no link to the theme whatsoever. (The theme was The Greatest Heroes Known lol.) All the same, it was pretty fun. We also did another one called Pop, which we wrote for Akilan's sake since he needed to fill up the time because 2 Indiv acts dropped out.
Then some HCJC team did a Carol Ann Duffy poem, which I can't quite remember except that one part went like "Dulce!...No! Et!...No! Decorum!...No! ...Pro patrio mori." It sounded rather impressive.
St Nick's' team consisted of a cute but surprisingly good team of Sec2 girls, who performed a poem about beauty. (Was sorta stoned by this point so I can't remember much.)
Russell (The Brave) went next, with his poem about a little boy who wanted to fly but couldn't. How on earth can people remember so many lines, gosh. Anyway I half expected him to burst into song ("I believe I can fly!") randomly during the performance.
Another Hwach JC team went last, with a self-written poem, "Superwoman", about gender roles. I think they were good, but I felt like a total prude listening to them. See, this girl was halfway through a line and suddenly when she came to some part with the word 'tits' in it, she kinda...grabbed her boobs and pushed them up violently. And there were very obvious BDSM references in it too :/ so I cringed my way through their performance.
I always thought I was corrupted, but this is totally 小巫见大巫 aaaaaah. I feel like a 良家妇女 now.
Judges' performances (heh caught Ng Yi-Sheng on video squeeee!) and prize giving next; AC won 3rd, the gender-roles HC team got 2nd, and St Nick's 1st. Best Individual Performer-converted-to-Outstanding Bravery Award naturally went to the only guy there who dared to go up alone. Guess who.
Yup so that concluded YAWP 2010, and despite not winning anything (actually we went there to lose) we did have a lot of fun (: