Saturday, March 13, 2010

Today was...unbelievably cool.

Woke up at 6 and left the house by 6.20am to get to NUS's Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences by 8.15 am. I ended up half an hour early, but Jinghan was even earlier :O we started talking about lengths of addresses and how they're inversely proportional to the size of your house. (For example, mine is Block ___A Compassvale Link, #__-___, S (_____). Which is fairly long, so yeah.) Then we both started lamenting the lengths of our addresses and wishing we could shorten them. Haha.

Then the quiz! Prelim round 1 was okayish, but prelim round 2 was terrible. I flunked everything omg :/ There was a talk by their associate professor in between the two prelim rounds, but it was basically plugging NUS (and I highly doubt it was a coincidence that both the quiz and their open house were held on the same day).

Then lunch, and results! Haha Lydia was super nervous, but the rest of us pretty much assumed that we'd be kicked out because more than 3/4 of the lecture theatre was filled with JC students :/ Before the prelim rounds, we walked into a fairly empty LT and surveyed the school/team names pasted onto the seats, and basically wondered why we were even there. Sigh. There were 41 teams in total.

But we got into the quarterfinals! We were the 7th seeded team (out of 12). At least we didn't let Charisse Tay's batch's legacy down (:

Quarterfinals: one question set, luck of the draw, 10 questions in 2 minutes. The top seeded team (made up of a certain super pro group of J1 RI(JC) guys) were damn suay and got the hardest set of questions out of the 12. Sigh. Some question sets were super easy. Our team got an okay one (thanks to Denise's lucky hands, we managed to evade the tough sets), so we got an okayish score.

And they announced the top 6 teams for semis, and we, uh, were the 6th team. Lol. Semi round 1 was basically almost the same as quarterfinals, but semi round 2 was scaryyyy. We were assigned places around the mike, and had to lunge for it when the guy rang his bell. I ran out for the 2nd one, and was one step slower than 2 other JC guys + got my hand crushed by the two of them, who were on either side of me. For the rest of the round, my team just stood there and let other people answer the questions. Haha.

So obviously (since we didn't answer any questions for semi round 2), we were kicked out of the top 3.

But we did pretty okay already la (: Team Glendon got 3rd, a random RI(JC) team got 2nd and a HCJC team got 1st.

Oh and we saw Cheryl Tan (senior) there! She's cool :D hope she comes back to RG soon.

--

Will blog about the rest of my day some other time. Anyway RGS Team One, you rock :D

--

Okay I'm back (:

Anyway we had a little altercation after the quiz with someone who couldn't beat our impeccable logic haha. I love arguing with dumb people. If they're unreasonable, it's even funnier because they won't admit defeat and you can keep hitting them without feeling guilty.

Then Denise, Becky, Lydia and the other groups went home, and Xinyuan and I took the train to Tampines to get salad for RALA dinner :D

On our way out of the supermarket, I saw an acquaintance (the sort you wave to in the corridor but never actually talk to) and waved hi. He very enthusiastically pumped my hand :O then we caught up, and I was bitching about the RGS bookings system and how unreasonable it was. He topped it with an account of how his principal expelled a girl for refusing to tie up her long hair. Sheesh so anal.

Amazing how you meet people unexpectedly and find that they've changed, you've changed, and things are so different now. I never ever talked to him in primary school because we were from different classes and he was a tracker and trackers just don't talk to IT Club nerds.

--

RALA dinner was cool. Dr S made garlic prawn pasta, which basically outdid everyone else's food because it was so awesomely blissfully creamy. Mmm. Ruth brought ice cream from Udders :O Jessie provided a LOT of food - beehoon, fishballs, chicken etc. Karen got salsa. Hannah brought peach crumble. Yvonne brought...drinks, I think. Did I miss out anyone?

I was crossing my fingers throughout the quiz and hoping my potato salad (meat and meatless) wouldn't spoil, and it didn't :D phew. The meatless version turned out a little too sour for my liking, but the version with ham was great.

We watched around a quarter of Dead Poets' Society, but we paused it to get dessert and never resumed watching because we ended up sitting in a circle and talking instead. About school, teachers and Dr S's experience teaching IB. I feel closeted :/ but at the same time I don't think IB will be any more suitable for me, subject combination-wise, than the RJ A-level programme.

Then Xinyuan and I had to go home, and we unknowingly took a super long route but luckily Cheryl spotted us and offered us a lift to the MRT station.

I love RALA (: I never realised our class had a soul and a life until we lost it this year. As Jessie so aptly put it: "Tonight, RALA was RALA again."
Disclaimer

Be offended if you want by my writings; it's your blood pressure, not mine. (:





your mirror

sixteen. 12A01B; formerly a chopstick. ex-coralite, ex-riverlite, ex-rosythian and now a rafflesian.
member of rgsrcy&aikirinashi; love always
and rgavpa - girls in black.

hobo. part-time PUSSian. forever a sexysixfifteener <3


sticks and stones



and the lights dim

© Layout by Tracy.
Amanda
Alicia
Anabelle
Audrey
Bernice
Celine
Cheng Jing
Cheryl
Clare
Cloudy+Josh
Dawn
Dawn
Dawne
Denise
Germaine
Gloria
Grace
Gregory
Huiran
Janne
Jarrad
Jingjie
Jingyi
Joie
Joseph
Justin
Karen
Leevoon
Lingzhi
Munirah
Rachel
Rach
Rohan
Russell
Ruth
Sherry
Sindhu
Verna
Victoria
Wesley
Xinyuan
Yirong

CAPpers'08
SOS: CAP'08
Yearblog
AVbatch'10!
6-14/6-15 2006
113 '07
212 '08
311 '09
----
» February 2008
» March 2008
» April 2008
» May 2008
» June 2008
» July 2008
» August 2008
» September 2008
» October 2008
» November 2008
» December 2008
» January 2009
» February 2009
» March 2009
» April 2009
» May 2009
» June 2009
» July 2009
» August 2009
» September 2009
» October 2009
» November 2009
» December 2009
» January 2010
» February 2010
» March 2010
» April 2010
» May 2010
» June 2010
» July 2010
» August 2010
» September 2010
» October 2010
» November 2010
» December 2010
» January 2011
» February 2011
» April 2011
» May 2011