Sunday, March 28, 2010
Sometimes I wish I didn't exist so much in the real world.
An odd way to phrase it, yeah, but I hate talking to really down-to-earth people. They can't see the world in anything but its most basic, physical terms.
And to them everything's about being practical - how to do things more efficiently, cut costs, save time, whatever. Why take a fifteen-minute walk and waste time on scenery when you can always drive/take some form of transport? You could save time and use it to do - what? Oh, earn more money, of course, or if you're a student study so that next time you can get That High-Paying Job and...drumroll please, there you have it, EARN MORE MONEY.
In ten years' time, I want to be free of any notions of selling myself to money. I want to have enough, but not too much - not enough for me to want more, more, more and never be satisfied.
I find people who do community work for the sake of collecting CIP hours to make their CIP report look good absolutely
disgusting. If it could prevent such people from going to old folks' homes and children's homes to pollute the environment with all their gross selfish ideas, I'd donate all my CIP hours to them. Not even the attempt at convincing themselves that they're there to do good - it's cold hard reality and "I will get exactly 100 hours and do no more". Repulsive.
Also, on an unrelated note, I hate people who do what's easy at the expense of doing the right thing (though generally you'll find at least half of the former group in this category too). "Why make trouble for yourself," they will say. Or "Forget it; it's no use trying to put it right." Isn't it always, always more important to do what's right? Apparently some can't grasp the significance of actions that seem to lead nowhere; unfortunately, these are the people who will rise in the world, the ones who see everything in terms of utility and efficiency...
I refuse to believe that the dreamers - or, more accurately, the ones who think and dare to dream - aren't the ones who will inherit the world. If only to preserve my own sanity, I shall refuse to accept it.
(But looking at the number of incompetent "leaders" that the elite schools are churning out - )