Saturday, March 27, 2010
Okay yup yesterday was awesome.
I should do a timeline or something this time.
--
8.30am - Breakfast with mum at coffeeshop downstairs. Teh C and bread/kaya roti yay.
(Disclaimer: As you can see, my life is not particularly interesting. Read on if you like mundanities.)
8.30am - 12pm: Stone around at home and moan about my sore throat, which feels like it's on fire.
12pm: Head out of the house and buy honey and lemon-flavoured Strepsils at Econ Minimart downstairs before walking towards the MRT Station.
12.45pm: Reach City Hall MRT. Oooh look, I'm early. Let's stand around and wait for Xinyuan, who should be coming soon.
1.oopm: Call Xinyuan on her cellphone. She doesn't pick up.
1.10pm: Call Xinyuan again. Still no reply.
1.15pm: Xinyuan calls back and says she'll take another 15min to get to City Hall because she's at Redhill. I sms her and tell her rather irately that she has no common sense because by taking the bus to Redhill and then taking a train to City Hall, she is essentially making a huge unnecessary detour.
1.30pm: Xinyuan finally arrives, and we eat lunch at the Funan food court.
2.00pm: We half-walk, half-run to the Asian Civilisations Museum and get our boiler suits.
2.10pm: I realise that the L-sized boiler suit (which is the only one left) is far too big for me. I am now reduced to folding up the sleeves and cuffing the pant legs. Sigh. Sucks to be everyone else's size.
2.15pm: We're assigned a couple of words, and I simultaneously mindblank and try to work the typewriter.
2.18pm: DAMN STILL NO IDEA.
2.20pm: Am on the brink of tears. Stream of consciousness goes something like this: "Oh shit why can't I think of anything dammit mindblockmindblock EH CRYSTAL YOU'RE A CAP POETRY ALUMNUS LEH omg I suck aiya whatever just write the first thing that comes to my mind screw it la"
2.30pm: Finally done with 1st poem. I send it out, and return to my seat to find a whole bunch of little kids crowded around the typewriter. They proceed to gawk at me as I brainstorm for the 2nd poem.
2.35pm: Done with 2nd poem, on feeling like a zoo exhibit in a cage. Kids, being kids, don't get the hint.
2.40pm - 4.00pm: I experience alternating feelings of success/triumph and deep self-abasement, as does Xinyuan when we can't think of ideas. In the process, we have swapped typewriters once and finished each others' poems; Xinyuan completed my "Mark" while I completed her "Fashionista". ("Mark" was fairly interesting to write. It was evidently for a guy named Mark, but I turned it into a narrative on someone who can't seem to scrub off a black mark on her yellow wallpaper, obsesses over it and ultimately goes mad. I hope Mark liked the piece MUAHAHAHAHA). Though it probably wasn't half as bad as Russell's "I Love You". Wonder which lovesick person submitted that word.
4.00pm - 5.00pm: Rush off for Chinese tuition while trying to wipe all traces of poetry from my mind (because Chinese tuition requires a rather different frame of mind) and studying tingxie at the same time.
5.00pm-6.30pm: Chinese tuition. Nothing interesting.
6.45pm-7.30pm: Hang around Vic's clubhouse and play Guitar Hero on her Wii with Rachel, Kester and Vic's Soka friends. (Kester and I have the same shiny red tie omghahaha). I am now certain that I will only ever do vocals on Guitar/Band Hero, because I seriously can't play anything else. Terrible hand-eye coordination, sigh.
7.30pm - 9.30pm: These events occur roughly in order: Dinner/Rabbids/Vic's birthday song/Karaoke. I wasn't very hungry and didn't eat a lot (or so I thought), but then I looked around and realised that my idea of "not a lot" was everyone else's regular portion size. Whoops.
Vic's birthday song was sung in both English and Mandarin, and an aunt tried to get everyone to sing in Teochew but as half the people there didn't understand Teochew, we didn't sing it in the end. Haha. The cake's super cute la! Unfortunately, most of my cake icing was knocked to the ground by Xinyuan the Caveman, who wanted to hit someone's shoulder but smashed my plate into my chest. THANKS A LOT, XINYUAN. Out of pity for her and her disabled hand, I cleaned the mess up for her. But did I get a single "thank you"? NO. Xinyuan go and 面壁思过 la sheesh.
Then the guys outside wanted to play pool, so the girls went into the karaoke room, where Vic's relatives were gathered and dancing the Nobody dance. Even Vic's GRANDMA was dancing. Then someone put on Sorry Sorry, and everyone but us started club-dancing. Which was really disturbing, because the relatives there were mostly over the age of 40. Vic's grandma tried to get us to get up and dance (we were huddled on the couch and looking rather mortified at what was going on), but we steadfastly refused and escaped outside in search of sanity.
Xinyuan and I had to go, and I forgot to take the pink highheels charm with me as I left D: sigh. Vic where'd you get the charms from? They're SO CUTE.
10.15pm: I reach home and get scolded for going out when I'm coming down with the flu. Actually, I left home with a sore throat and came back with a runny nose AND the sore throat. Sigh.
11.00pm: Am bundled off to bed.
11.00pm - 3.20am: Toss and turn in bed because I have a sore throat and a half-blocked airway. Finally fall asleep and wake up intermittently throughout the rest of the morning.
--
PPF's still on at the ACM today, but I can't go because 1. I've exams tomorrow and 2. I'm sick anyway and it wouldn't do for me to spread the virus to everyone else at the museum. Meh. Back to studying, then.