Sunday, August 9, 2009
Okay. DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES.
Here's the backstory.
Xinyuan and I took part in the WP Youth Wing's "What Is Your Ideal Singapore?" essay-writing competition. (While you're busy gasping, screaming and running away while shouting "COMMUNIST!!!!!!!!!!!", may I please add that the prize money (in book vouchers) is $150. Which is a lot.)
I haven't bought books in ages. The last time I bought a book was with vouchers from Humanities Quiz, and if you recall that was a long time ago. Like, around this time last year. I haven't bought books using my parents' (or my own) money since early in Sec1, because everytime I wanted to buy a book (think RALA outing at Kino, where everyone else returned with armfuls of books), I'd think of how each book would mean 2h more work for my dad, and I'd put it back. D: (true sob story!)
So. How can you make a free donation to this poor girl who loves books but can't afford to buy them? The email from the organizers explains it all:
"Each of the five judges will individually score your essay. The combined score from all judges will make up 60% of your total score. The other 40% will come from Facebook 'likes'. To view the scoring criteria and formula for calculating the percentage obtained from Facebook 'likes', please refer to the
Terms to Participants.
You can continue gathering Facebook 'likes' as the final tally will only be recorded on 15th August 2009 (Saturday), 11.59pm. Do encourage your friends to become a 'fan' of the
WPYW Facebook page and 'like' your essay and any of the other essays that they wish to support."
Yup so that's all you have to do! If you're a Facebook user, go to the WP Youth Wing facebook page
here and vote for Xinyuan's/my/both essays by "like"-ing them. Thanks a lot in advance :DDD My bookshelf will love you too; it's been lonely for far too long.