Friday, March 20, 2009
Today's post shall be all about food. Hehe.
Let's start with lunch. We went to Yingxin's chicken rice shop again, where the service is literally faster than fast food - sit down, order, 3 seconds later your meal comes. Even Macs has lag time, but this one doesn't.
Anyway, our chicken rice came and Sindhu The Evil stole my plate of roasted chicken because it had more skin on it. I attempted to wrest it back from her, but the uncle who was serving us soup was looking at us amusedly and I decided to relent for a fee of 2 pieces of chicken skin.
I think I'm a really fast eater, because when I finally finished my first plate of rice, I looked around and everyone else was halfway through their food. So I decided there wouldn't be any harm in ordering a second plate - what better to do when watching people eat than to eat while waiting?
Well, everyone had that "ARE YOU SERIOUS" look on their faces. But I was hungry, so I just got another plate, poured some soy sauce and started mixing it in, until Claire gave me this deadpan stare and solemnly informed me of my impending Death by Sodium.
Suddenly, my fragrant rice looked like an artery-clogging murderer. But it's sinful to waste food, so I decided to just eat it and stay off salt for the next week.
--
Next was dinner.
My mum called at around 7+ to tell me to wash vegetables for dinner. I don't know this type of veg's English name, but in Chinese it's known as 苋菜. So anyway, those who're familiar with 苋菜 will know that it's really soft and tasty, but BOY IS IT HARD TO CLEAN.
Firstly, there're the roots. These contain the most dirt, so you have to chop them off first. Unfortunately, the people who package the vegetables at Bukit Panjang or whatever can't be bothered to arrange the vegetables neatly so that the roots are easy to cut off. So I had to either sift through the 1000000000 stalks of vegetables to find uncut roots, or chop them further up the stem and waste edible stems. Sigh. I was pressed for time, so I chose the latter option. D:
That wasn't the end of my Xiancai-Washing Nightmare, though. Next, I dumped the whole lot of rather stemless vegetables into a large container, filled it with water and started swirling the veg around. When I lifted up the bunch of vegetables, there was practically an entire SAND DUNE at the bottom of my container. Oh, brilliant.
After using tons and tons of water to shift the Sahara out of my veggies, I finally felt safe enough to soak them in water and leave them there until my mum came home to cook them.
Guess what? My mum complained that there were still a few grains of sand left in the water I used to soak the veg.
This is it. I'm never eating 苋菜 again, unless I don't have to wash it myself. Because there is no way I can ever be as thorough as I was today, and I don't want to die of Death by Choking On Sand before I get my rightful Death by Sodium from the copious amounts of salt I've apparently been ingesting since the day I started eating chicken rice.
Mmm, soy sauce. (: