Monday, March 16, 2009
Lol Xinyuan and I are arguing (not the angry kind, the debate kind) about whether or not one can survive on a $1k salary per month.
I think it's impossible. She thinks it's possible.
But she also mentioned a point about my staying in a condo, which should ordinarily put me in the "upper middle class" category and therefore far removed from poor people's troubles. I think most people do think this way, and I can't blame them because it IS normally true. But it isn't for me, because we're no longer rich. We're not poor per se, but un-rich enough to understand.
*10 minutes later*
Anyway.
She appears to have won the argument, based on the assumption that the person doesn't have kids. But I still believe that our hypothetical Poor Clerk has kids, because poor people (especially clerks) always have lots of kids. Maybe they have more time to, you know, get funky in the bedroom because they work fixed 9-to-5 hours or something.
But then again, my mum and I were discussing the "poor people have more kids" thing a few years ago, and I proposed the unbeatable theory that poor people are poor BECAUSE they have so many kids. Hmm.