Saturday, March 21, 2009
Okay here's the ArtsFest '09 official post :D
Haha it's so strange that every single year during ArtsFest prep, I tell myself stuff like "This is crazy and I'm never doing ArtsFest again" etc, but by the end of it I'm all "SIGN ME UP FOR ANOTHER LOAD OF TORTURE NEXT YEAR!!!!!!". Humans are such funny creatures.
Pre-audition preps were actually rather sad affairs, because we had so many things to iron out and there seemed to be so many uneven bits :/ Plus it was LJ week before auditions and everyone was like dead tired and didn't feel like going for pracs. Then there was the outfit-finding fiasco, the shopping trip at This Fashion and the choral black-skirt-versus-black-pants debate.
But we got in (: The initial mixup was freaky, though. And I think we laughed like crazy when we saw the poll on the Finals results page. One thing it did do was show how bored/free people are when they ought to be practising for finals lol.
Finals preps were during the holidays. Amid parental objections (amazingly, my mum had objections against waking up before 6.30am. Lul.), screwed schedules, weird dental appointments and holiday homework, we made it for practices. There was a fair amount of pressure; we were still changing actions/lyrics right down to the last few days.
Then there were the year lunches at the top floor of Far East instead of the first, because of the whole "avoid fried food before finals" thing. Chicken rice <3!
For Choral, we practised The Line* so often I think we all got heartily sick of it. We practised in a variety of classrooms, in light, in aircon, without aircon, in the dark, together, separately, lying down, standing up, sitting on tables, sitting on chairs and even while playing Solitaire (hah Yingxin).
In RI, we marvelled over the size of the school, rehearsed yet again and did last-minute make-up. We skipped lunch in favour of singing together for the billionth time and touching up our faces. We sat on the stage in the hall away from the spectators, getting nervous and commenting on others' performances.
Then it was our turn. So many things went wrong, like Peilin's uncuttable ribbon and the problem of Choral having a mike when the main characters didn't (we overpowered their voices. A lot), so we just went back to our places and enjoyed the rest of the acts, like _______, which was excellent comic relief.
Results were released in the auditorium, and Open was first to be announced. It was fairly surreal; we were dreaming and hoping for maybe a 3rd or something. Then RI got 3rd and we were like "okay let's hope we get 2nd".
Crescent Cedar (thankyouAudrey!) (Heal The World or something) got 2nd. That was when most of us practically slumped and went "aiya whatever la don't win then don't win".
Then:
"In first place......One."
Okay I don't know about the rest, but for me it was like "Whatever man. Who the hell is One anyway...HOLY PINEAPPLES THAT'S US OMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!111111oneeleven"
Cue hugging, crying and insane maniacal laughter. Then Drama and Dance got 2nd, which means a better haul for RGSRCY this year compared to last year yay (:
Oh I saw Kester as we were filing out towards the canteen. I don't think he recognized me though :/ Eyeliner makes me look weird.
Then after photo-taking, school cheers (yay Raffles Ichiban!) and a mad rush of make-up removing and changing, we went for unit dinner at J8's Ajisen :D Sadly, I didn't have enough moolah on me to buy the value set but I was really thirsty, which was why I was super happy when the auntie brought iced water for me because I didn't order a drink :D My seafood ramen was good, as usual. Lingzhi gave me her scallop because she didn't like it :O
Unit bonding was quite amusing. It's amazing what we can do with butterfly wings, bamboo poles and buckets. There were a few cats around the place, which freaked Carey out. I think there was a whole cat family living there, because they were all of different sizes and I saw a really adorable black kitten following a white mummy cat around (:
We went home at around 9pm, but I took longer than expected to get home and only reached home at around 10pm, where I gorged myself on leftover instant noodles, jiaozi and tangyuan. Sigh I should really slim down; I'm eating too much and getting too fat.
And that was the end of yesterday, one of the most awesome Saturdays ever :D
ArtsFest '09; Entwined by One <3
Open Category FTW!