Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wasn't planning to post anymore but Xinyuan's post reminded me. (Xinyuan if you want it off tell me, I koped the after-tag half of your post.)

--

From Xinyuan's blog:

Today's RALA test poem was niggling, and I had read it before (Crystal says, on Foyle):
How to Watch a Child Die
Amanda Chong
Avert your gaze from his eyes,
even if they plead for you to be drawn to its depths.
Instead focus on his sallow complexion
the sun crawling on his aged skin,
the colour of the well-trodden carpet
in your living room;
the spot where your son once threw his football boots
and you missed bleaching
for the past few years.

Do not try to guess his age
or say, he is older than he looks
as you study his brittle bones, too-large head
and the empty basket of his ribcage.

Think instead of the sound they may make
when his body is thrown into a ditch;
the sound of rain whipping through branches,
the crackling of a creek before thaw
or your antique vase
crashing into smithereens
from its place on the mantelpiece.

Turn away from the blank faces of your own children
and make no associations.

Pretend you do not notice
how your teenager leaves her food
uneaten on her plate. (Convince yourself you are not an escapist)
After all,
this skeletal child is merely
a marionette in a macabre fairytale.

Now, ignore the queasy feeling in your stomach
as you get up to dish out dessert.

Resolve to write to the authorities
to complain for showing such
disturbing footage during dinner.

Be blind to the broken birds of the child's
hands as they reach out pleading to be held,
the rolling whites of his eyes, the bruised animals
of his lips, parting, as he takes his last..

Turn off the television set.

Children should not know that
(in some very remote parts of the world)
they may die before their mothers.


Do not shut your minds, but let this fester in your thoughts; it is better to penitently recognise your unblameable yet changeable role in this, than to bury yourself ostrich-like, a fool in the face of truth.

(end)
--

What really scared me was that I found myself about to tell her to please not blog about it or something because while doing the test today I felt so guilty I almost cried writing the second question (causing a fair amount of incoherence, but that's not the point).

Then I realised I was doing exactly that: running away from guilt and everything I was feeling as I wrote the essay. I called myself a hypocrite, expressed remorse and shame for being one of the lucky ones and silently swore to never be like the mother in the poem. Yet I almost failed to control my instincts. So yes, I shall not run away or hide. I shall face up to my feelings, and do my best to help others around me.

This post shall serve as a reminder.
Disclaimer

Be offended if you want by my writings; it's your blood pressure, not mine. (:





your mirror

sixteen. 12A01B; formerly a chopstick. ex-coralite, ex-riverlite, ex-rosythian and now a rafflesian.
member of rgsrcy&aikirinashi; love always
and rgavpa - girls in black.

hobo. part-time PUSSian. forever a sexysixfifteener <3


sticks and stones



and the lights dim

© Layout by Tracy.
Amanda
Alicia
Anabelle
Audrey
Bernice
Celine
Cheng Jing
Cheryl
Clare
Cloudy+Josh
Dawn
Dawn
Dawne
Denise
Germaine
Gloria
Grace
Gregory
Huiran
Janne
Jarrad
Jingjie
Jingyi
Joie
Joseph
Justin
Karen
Leevoon
Lingzhi
Munirah
Rachel
Rach
Rohan
Russell
Ruth
Sherry
Sindhu
Verna
Victoria
Wesley
Xinyuan
Yirong

CAPpers'08
SOS: CAP'08
Yearblog
AVbatch'10!
6-14/6-15 2006
113 '07
212 '08
311 '09
----
» February 2008
» March 2008
» April 2008
» May 2008
» June 2008
» July 2008
» August 2008
» September 2008
» October 2008
» November 2008
» December 2008
» January 2009
» February 2009
» March 2009
» April 2009
» May 2009
» June 2009
» July 2009
» August 2009
» September 2009
» October 2009
» November 2009
» December 2009
» January 2010
» February 2010
» March 2010
» April 2010
» May 2010
» June 2010
» July 2010
» August 2010
» September 2010
» October 2010
» November 2010
» December 2010
» January 2011
» February 2011
» April 2011
» May 2011