Friday, October 31, 2008
Lul farewell assembly today.
I love watching gift exchange :D The swim captains exchanged stuffed marine animals and kept waving their flippers around. Cherylchan gave Boonhwee a loudspeaker. Boonhwee gave Cheryl a suspicious-looking plastic bag full of stuff.
Then this guy teacher started crying while giving his speech to 412, and Hannah started cooing and demanding to be in his class next year. O.o "He's so sweeeeeeet~!"
I forgot what happened next, but people started singing High School Musical and like Vic said, they were jumping around randomly and singing along. I was horrified. Just so people wouldn't accuse me of being an antisocial hobo, I TRIED to sing but the only line I knew was "We're all in this together", and I fully did NOT want to sing High School Musical and jump around together with everyone else so I stopped singing.
I hate High School Musical because everyone else loves it. BAH HUMBUG.
School cheers took longer than usual, but my voice has been dead for the past few days so it wasn't as fun. Cannot go low or loud sia.
Overate during break anticipating no lunch. Nearly puked. I'm impressed at Xinyuan's determination to keep promises, even if they involve 30cent samosas. Though I must say I totally earned it standing there looking like a retard queuing up for more food when I already had a packet in my hand. (Okay maybe it wasn't so impressive after all.)
RALA interviews were...slightly screwed. I walked in and nearly hyperventilated while greeting the teachers. Then Dr Nair gave me a kindly smile and told me that I was wearing "the biggest smile they'd seen so far". I mumbled rather incoherently that it was actually a nervous smile and started shaking while pulling out the chair. :/
Their questions were sufficiently interesting for me to forget to be nervous, though. They asked the usual stuff like what I was planning to get out of RALA (the class environment's to die for) and how free I was.
There was this question which I totally screwed. They asked what book I read that left a deep impact on me, and of course I chose 1984.
"So, what about 1984 left a deep impact on you?"
"Well, I think what happened in 1984 is so real. Everything he mentioned could actually happen in real life. Like you might read it and think you'd never be a Winston but a Julia because Winston would die anyway but Julia might have lived, y'know, if she hadn't gone with Winston."
"And what do you think Orwell was prophetic about in 1984?"
"The weapons of mass destruction. It's getting easier to kill people nowadays, what with ballistic missiles and stuff."
And then came the killer question.
"Anything else he was prophetic about?"
And of course, I just had to say "The government. I mean, some parts of 1984 can already be seen in Singapore."
"Like what?"
"Without being anti-government -"
"Oh, that's okay"
"... I kind of don't agree with the one-party system in Singapore."
Uh-oh. Only people like me can manage to screw up an interview by turning an innocent answer into an anti-government statement. Yayballs.
[edit] Omg what was I thinking?! I compared my home country to AIRSTRIP ONE. Where "people shuffle about London barefoot while astronomical numbers of boots are produced on paper every year". Whee so smart right. -.- It's so inappropriate I think they might have laughed.