Friday, May 30, 2008
CAP WAS AWESOMEEEEE.
Okay so chronological order.
Day 1I woke up really early (like half an hour early) so slacked around in bed until it was time to go (had brushed teeth etc earlier) then left the house early with my dad. We took public transport, so we were delayed by the rain. Bloody cab companies hate us man. We called and called and they HUNG UP ON US YES? Grah. High call volume also don't need to do that to us right!
Anyway I reached there in time, but not as early as the pro Wesley Leong who had already checked his own orientation group AND mine as well (yeah, fine, thanks), or Xinyuan who lost her way but still got there faster.
I checked in and went down for tea, where I met my wonderful groupmates :D Jia Shun had Chinese 'O' levels, so (David) CRAWSHAW was our group councillor for the morning! He named the group Didgeridoo, which apparently wasn't what Jia Shun wanted to name us at first, but it stuck.
Orientation was cool. We played random games and did poetry/prose sharing. My poem about the class monitress totally flopped, but I half-wrote it during a boring math tuition class, so whatever la :)
Oh I forgot.
Didgeridoo: Jiashun, Crawshaw, Cleo, Greg, Delvin, Crystal, Shaowei, Rachel, Christine, Dawn, Cheryl, Jingjie
LOVE YOU GUYS (and gals) :DDDDD
The heart-to-heart talk was more like random CAP stuff session. Lol.
Lunch was normal CAP food, which = pretty good but not the best but still good for camp standards.
Plenary was, um, rather okay? It wasn't as bad as Constance said it was, but maybe things get better every year.
LIT SHARING WAS COOL. I remember Nick Quah (Shakespeare!), Joy and Gan (Yu Neng) read their poems, and they were really really nice.
Dinner was spent worrying about performance workshops.
Drama was nice; we played lotsa games and talked about silence. Michael (Mr Corbidge, St. Michael, Mr Michael) said quite a lot of stuff which I can't remember offhand. I like ZipZap, but I kept getting owned at it. Huiran's good at it, though. A lot of people were in drama, but somehow Nick Quah earned the nickname "Shakespeare" and Rohan distinguished himself as the craziest person ever. Rachel and Meaghan and Christine (who was from Rosyth and OG2!) were in my group, and they are awesome people :D
Called Xinyuan super late at night; I was pretty surprised she picked up and actually bothered to talk to me. Remind me why I love her, in the most non-lesbian way. ("I AM NOT LESBIAN!" says Xinyuan in exasperation on Day 2)
Day 2Breakfast was good. Somehow I woke up this morning thinking that I'd have fried rice or noodles or sandwiches and cold water (because I don't drink CAP milo haha) to eat, and my mum told me there was nothing in the fridge D: So. Crawshaw is yay because breakfast is yey.
Forum 1 with Ms Heng Siok Tian, Mr Aaron Lee and Mr Cyril Wong was nice. Mr Wong was all "Your family has a set of ideals for you. To get good grades in school, behave well... and be straight." I got his book 'tilting our plates to catch the light', but I haven't read a lot of it yet. Xinyuan would know why xD I love Mr Lee's quote "The word after a word after a word is power". It's so true, and scary, because you can manipulate people through language :/ Hmm two of the speakers do disagree on a lot of issues, and we should all be thankful nothing got ugly?
The writing workshop with Mr Jeffrey Lim was...okay I suppose. No comments on a public blog. Hannah was next to me and we were being lame and random.
Dinner then drama. Zipzapbingbong randomness.
Day 3It was the second best day ever, and Ms Suchen's plenary was SUPER COOL KAY. Her "two mothers" story was really nice, and after getting a (highly coveted by everyone) copy of 'The Lies That Build A Marriage' I have to agree that that story should be read aloud. Writing workshop with Michael (because Mr Corbidge is in his IC) was the best ever. I am now inspired to go watch SRT plays every week. Shakespeare: "I can't believe I spent so much money on SRT plays and you get free tickets."
Ms Jill Dawson's workshop really helped build my creativity, because honestly, it is the first time I've written about a scene with just about nothing to write about. It forces you to think about writing about other things, such as smells and textures.
Group skit was so random, and I came up with the "I hate you. I hate you too." part in a fit of lameness. And it was actually used in the final draft :O
Oh at some point Greg learnt how to play the bottle game and taught the whole group. Cheryl helped me polish my skills :D HAH XINYUAN I PWNS YOU AT BOTTLE GAME. Yay. Greg did Didgeridoo proud at the Bottle Game Competition.
Day 4Erm last plenary was... well. Never mind. Xinyuan quite liked it though. Some guy Bluetoothed me a picture of an IJ girl sleeping, much to her chagrin when she woke up.
Forum 2: I TRIED TO LISTEN, I SWEAR, I TRIED! Jingjie wrote a really good poem and asked for comments. Apart from typos/writos, it was perfect.
Rehearsals were, well, rehearsals. I love the "Silencio" part and the "Schoolboys are evil. They shall all remain silent, or we will KILL them" part. It must have been quite scary when we all pointed at the audience accusingly.
Oh and on the last night we took a group photo :D I'll post them up later or something. CAP dinner was funny because Rohan imitated Crawshaw, Chuting imitated Nadia and Nadia imitated Chuting. Michael imitated Shakespeare. I went round taking pictures of everyone, including a sneak photo of Xinyuan in a girly blouse. Classic, I tell you.
Day 5Rehearsals rehearsals and more rehearsals. It was emo time, only that nobody really looked very emo. Packed and checked out. I wore my CAP shirt over my performance clothes and didn't live to regret it, except that it was pretty hot at first. Jiashun pointed out the two typos in the shirt logo :/ Which happens to be a sad irony, because we are all writers and shouldn't be spelling "programme" as "progamme".
While we were waiting for our turn to rehearse at LT11, some people decided to play Truth Or Dare :D It was amusing, and people were brutally honest about their most personal habits. You guys make playing TOD so fun. CAPpers are scandalous.
Art exhibition was awesome, good job art people! The sculptures were somewhat hauntingly scary.
The closing ceremony was really good. Percussion was loud and rhythmic, Poetry Slam was unbelievably funny (loved the take on The Emperor's New Clothes!), Javanese Dance was feminine and Drama was the best, despite my screwing up "reconciliation". Thanks group for being nice about it :)
I left early, sigh. Missed all the photo sessions, but never mind. Will some nice people send photos to me? :D
Okay I need to go for lunch now, and this is the longest post in history.
Once again:
DIDGERIDOO, DRAMA, CAPpers, COUNCILLORS AND BOTTLEGAMES ARE LOVE.